Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 21, 2014

Questions in Question

Happy Friday!! This week, I have received several new referrals, and I am SUPER excited to begin working with my new kiddies and their families :). I have a few questions that I usually ask when entering the home, regardless of the fact that I have received and reviewed the IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan) prior to the visit, as some information may have changed since the initial development. I wanted to share these questions that I think are important to know and are good beginning conversation pieces, to establish common ground on initial visits. As always, I invite and encourage fellow speech-language pathologists and EI providers to share questions they ask as well. Have a fabulous weekend ;)

1. What is the primary language spoken in the home? Are there any other languages spoken in the home?
2. Who currently lives in the home?
3. Is there a consistent schedule/routine? If so, what does their routine/schedule consist of?
4. Do they have any difficulty with oral feeding skills? What utensils are used for oral fixation/comfort and feeding?
5. What are your priorities and/or expectations for your child's overall communication skills?
6. Is the child receiving any other developmental services at the time? If so, what are the concerns in those areas?
7. How does your child currently communicate with you to express wants and needs?
8. Have there been any recent changes in the home that may have affected your child's speech and language skills?
9. What activities does your child enjoy?
10. What activities or routines does your child seem to have difficulty with?

No comments:

Post a Comment