Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Celebrating Diversity & Culture

Happy Wednesday!! As mentioned before, going into the home as a speech-language pathologist who works in early intervention, is one of my favorite components of my daily journey with my kiddos and their families. I am proud and ecstatic to say that I warmly welcomed by all of my families. I was reminded this week that each time I visit, I become apart of their family and this entails acclimating and imbedding myself into their routines and culture. Cultural sensitivity is an absolute necessity when it comes to providing speech & language therapy, but is especially important when entering one's home, as it is their personal space and comfort zone.  Cultural sensitivity includes but is not limited to awareness of customs, beliefs, native language, values, etc. The American Speech-Language Hearing Association provides a checklist of cultural competencies, which I strive hard to abide by, as this is mandatory. In addition, I work diligently to learn about their culture by learning highly motivating and simple words (that are used by the child and or family when speaking to the child) in the native language if used proficiently in the home, exchanging recipes for popular dishes from their countries, making an effort to remember and wishing them happy holidays when they are celebrating, etc. Feel free to share some ways you get involved and express and/or practice cultural sensitivity and celebrate diversity with your families :)

#diversityrocks #culturallysensitiveslps




No comments:

Post a Comment