Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Health & Wellness Tips for EI Providers and Infants & Toddlers

It has been my experience that October through March most of my kiddos' health are compromised. I am just getting over a cold, and was quickly reminded of how easy it is to get sick especially during one of my busiest times of the year (winter). I have listed a few tips that help to keep me healthy as well as those that I see used in the homes of the children I visit, daycares & preschools. Have a healthy & happy winter!!

1.  Wash hands often with warm soap and water- I wash my hands before and after each visit and incorporate this into my sessions (singing songs about washing hands, narrating actions, & discussing all the materials being used or that are needed such as water, soap, towel, etc.). I also keep hand  sanitizer in my car and in my bag, and use it as often as possible.
2.  Sneezing and coughing in your arm instead of in your hands- This way you are not contaminating others and/or objects.
3.  Take your vitamins consistently- If you are unsure of which vitamins are best, consult with your doctor or child's pediatrician.
4.  Stay hydrated & Eat Properly- I try to eat at least one fruit and one vegetable a day, as well as drinking at least 8 ounces of water a day. Make sure your child has a properly balanced diet, so they are receiving all of the nutrients needed to have energy, stay healthy, etc.
5. Proper Rest- The amount of sleep needed varies depending on age groups. Most doctors recommend at least 8 hours of sleep for adults and between 12-18 hours from the newborn to toddler stage. Having your child on a consistent schedule, does wonders for their sleeping habits, and in my experience can be the deciding factor of your child's behavior and potential throughout the day.
6. Rescheduling- I DO NOT make home/daycare/preschool visits when I have a fever or if I feel like I am catching a cold, especially after possibly being exposed to a highly contagious virus such as the flu or strep throat. I also encourage parents to reschedule the visit prior to the scheduled visit if the child has a fever or if the entire family is experiencing a virus, as I do not want to be exposed to illnesses and contaminate other children and their families. Do not send your children to preschool/daycare if they have a fever, diarrhea, vomiting etc. as it only spreads more germs, (you would be surprised how many parents do this). I also always stress that rescheduling is the best option when you or your child are sick, as your child will not perform to their best abilities during the session if they are not feeling well, and you as the parent will not be able to participate (which reduces carryover consistency). Your therapist and child will be healthy and happy if you call ahead and reschedule :).

No comments:

Post a Comment